Lab Office: 330-364-0872
Outpatient Lab Hours
Monday through Friday 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Saturday 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Closed Sunday and Holidays
Appointments are not needed
Accredited by the College of American Pathologists
Written order with the diagnosis is required for an outpatient lab test.
The Lab, in conjunction with the Medical Staff, has a critical value procedure which outlines the tests and their critical limits. A copy of the policy can be found under the "Physician Reference Documents" in our UH Document Library.
The Laboratory provides a wide menu of testing. Tests that cannot be performed in-house are sent out to our reference labs. Our primary reference lab is Lab Corp. We utilize Akron Children's Hospital for PCR testing. Some tests that are not currently performed in-house include:
- PCR testing
- Acid Fast Cultures (sent to Aultman); AFB smear is performed in-house
- Molecular testing
- Vitamin D
- PAP smears
- Hepatitis testing
- Comprehensive blood bank including identification of antibodies
- Blood products are obtained from our supplier, Aultman Hospital
- Leukocyte-poor RBCs maintained in inventory
- FFP maintained in inventory
- Small inventory of cryo maintained in inventory
- NO platelets are maintained in inventory due to their short shelf life. These are ordered through Aultman as needed. We prefer not to accept "in case" platelet requests as we may have to absorb the cost of these if they are not transfused.
- Courier service is available until noon Monday-Friday and then again from 3 p.m. - 6 p.m. The courier can pick up specimens drawn or collected in your office during these hours.
- Available Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30p.m. One of the pathologists is on call after normal business hours.
- Staffed by 2 Board Certified Pathologists
The LAB USER GUIDE is supplied to your office or is available on the UH Intranet if a UPS practice. This is a comprehensive guide to Union Hospital Lab testing.